2020-10-19 SAB Meeting notes


Public Page



   CIECA 500 Westover Dr  #11617; Sanford,  NC  27330 


Oct 19, 2020


As participants in this meeting, we need to be mindful of the constraints of antitrust laws. There shall be no discussions of agreements or concerted actions that may restrain competition. This prohibition includes the exchange of information concerning individual prices, rates, coverages, market practices, claims settlement practices, or any other competitive aspect of an individual company’s operation. Each participant is obligated to speak up immediately for the purpose of preventing any discussion falling outside these bounds.


  • Antitrust

  • Background of request made for new EV Committee

  • Open forum

Meeting Minutes

  • Antitrust

  • Background:

    • On September 21, 2020 a Maintenance Request was made by the Chair of Recycled Parts and Inventory, Ginny Whelan.

Date *

Monday, September 21, 2020

Name *

Virginia Whelan

Company *

ARA Education Foundation CIECA Recycled Parts and Inventory Chair

Email *


Phone Number *


Project Type. Select one. *


Purpose and Intent (Description): *

“The Collision Industry Electronic Commerce Association (CIECA) develops and promotes electronic communication standards that allow the collision industry to be more efficient. • Insure-Tech: • Ensure connectivity is retained and improves as more technology is implemented by insurers that affect the other segments of the industry • Vehicle Electrification: • Understand how and where EV’s will “connect” with the industry and then create standards that • Connected Cars and Big Data: • This is areas is HUGE! • CIECA needs to be “right in the middle” of this!!!! • Need to ensure appropriate data generated from vehicles and iOT sensors is available to industry segments • AI (Artificial Intelligence): • Educate industry • How does AI “integrate” with or improve existing platforms and standards • What, new standards are needed • VR and AR • Educate industry • How does VR/AR “integrate” with existing platforms and standards • What, if any, new standards are needed.” CIECA webinar Collision Industry Disruptions: What They Are & How They Will Disrupt the Industry, 9/2020. We need to prepare for it. The CIECA Recycled Parts & Inventory committee would like to request a new CIECA committee be created to address the connected vehicle technology and the points shared above. As stated, this technology will impact all segments of the collision industry and every committee of CIECA. This new committee would identify technology targets and gaps.

Interested Parties willing to participate: *

Open to all stakeholders in Vehicle Electrification, Connected Cars, AI,VR and AR (see above). To assist all CIECA committees and prevent tech silos.

  • Ginny spoke to the reasons that the RP&I Committee requested this new committee.

    • There are many areas of the Electronic Vehicle that is unknown to us and how the communication and messages will be shared. An example is recycling a battery.

    • This new EV Committee would identify areas of concern and could take it back to the CIECA committees to get clarification.

  • Team Discussion:

    • What is the Goal of the EV Committee?

      • Look at workflows and identify gaps

      • Identify new messages or impact to existing messages

      • Can our messages be used outside of the collision industry, will outside collision industry messages need to be accepted for information?

      • Driving the standards

      • Coordination to other committees

    • Instead of the Committee focus being on Electric Vehicle, should we broaden the scope to include Emerging Technologies.

    • It was recommended that we would need an OEM such as Tesla to be included.

      • There is a large number of Tesla vehicles in the market now and there have not been any issues with communication in our messages.

      • The needs of ADAS and Parent company communication with the repairer.

    • Do we need a CIECA committee to be in the middle of other committees or do we let the individual committees handle the request?

      • There are areas that some committees may see or may be impacted by that others are not aware of at this time.

      • This is an opportunity to be Pro Active or decide to wait to be impacted before we take action.

    • Suggestion

      • Instead of creating a new committee, could we create an Ad-hoc committee to do investigation to find out what messages may be impacted and what committees will need to be involved.

      • Is there a known difference in participation in Ad-hoc committees and Full Committees?

        • All Committees seem to start of with a larger number of participants and drop.

        • It seems that all Committees drop in participation as they move along, need to find a way to keep people participating.

      • What is an Ad-hoc committee?

        • A temporary committee that has 1 task to do research or investigate a task.

        • It will need to be defined with a clear direction to complete the task.

        • A time frame will need to be established (6 months).

    • Steps to create a committee:

      • Create a Charter

        • Articulate Business Problem

      • Form a Team

      • Appointing a Chair

    • In Recycle parts and Inventory committee meetings, many questions have come up in how to identify where a message will come from, the expectations of OEM New vs Recycled parts. With all of these questions, the committee members can not answer because it is outside of this committee. This is why they thought it would be good to get a committee to focus on EV to help everyone answers the questions.

      • Questions that have come up deal with the battery stock up and how to recycle the batteries.

        • End of life Vehicle.

        • No Infrastructure and movement of parts.

        • Department of Energy setting collection flow.

        • Recycle becoming global.

        • Fleet transfer as California is leading an effort.

        • CIECA data messaging impacts:

          • Messages stop

          • Data flows change

          • Privacy changes and not private

    • Connected Car Infrastructure

      • We know vehicles can share information with each other

      • Vehicles share information as low tire or oil change with the owner.

      • Fleets can be monitored to determine driver behaviors.

  • Final Thoughts:

    • We need to create an ad-hoc committee to look into emerging technologies to see how the Collision industry is going to be impacted.

      • We need to make sure that we are focusing this committee on Collision Industry and not other areas such as environmental or government.

    • Paul will take a clearer proposal to the Executive Committee.

Thanks Ginny for brining the concerns forward and helping drive solutions for moving forward.

Action items

CIECA Team will work on creating a draft document to take to the Executive committee of an Ad-hoc committee.




  • @Paulette Reed - Scribe

  • Ginny Whelan

  • Sandy Blalock

  • @Brady Bonner

  • @Paul Barry

  • @Mike Marlowe

  • @steve.meulemans.gorz

  • @Kim DeVallance Caron

  • Mark Helvenston

  • @Clint Marlow

  • @Thomas McGarry

  • @Phil Martinez

  • Darrell Amberson

  • David McClune

  • Steve Betley

  • @John Vito

  • @Greg Best




Participants in the meetings are noted for your information.  If you have questions on the committee’s activities, please contact a recent attendee. https://cieca.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SAB