2022-09-08 OEM Repair Procedures and Guild Sheet Data Meeting Minutes


Public Page





Sep 8, 2022


As participants in this meeting, we need to be mindful of the constraints of antitrust laws. There shall be no discussions of agreements or concerted actions that may restrain competition. This prohibition includes the exchange of information concerning individual prices, rates, coverages, market practices, claims settlement practices, or any other competitive aspect of an individual company’s operation. Each participant is obligated to speak up immediately for the purpose of preventing any discussion falling outside these bounds.


  • Antitrust

  • Meeting minute Review

  • Welcome/Networking

  • Review Project Plan

  • Set Priority

  • Work on Workflows

Meeting Minutes

  • Antitrust Accepted

  • Meeting minutes reviewed and accepted

  • Project Plan was reviewed, and it was deferred to homework for everyone to take some time to look at the Project Plan and send request for changes or additions to paulette@cieca.com before the next meeting (September 22) to be reviewed.

    • The Project Plan is a living document that can change through the life of the project.

  • Aliases and Terminology

    • Blind spot monitoring is used as an example. Each company has their own term for blind spot monitoring, we need a method to be able to talk about what the process is so it can be referred back to each OEM repair procedure.

  • High Level Workflows to help identify the needs

    • Walk through the shop workflows and what technicians need and how the information they use, and the steps taken to get that information.

      • Problems technicians are having with the information

      • We need the workflows of the people using the aliases

      • Focus on how the technicians are going to be moving through the process and then have categories/Subcategories for each technology.

      • There are different persons that use the repair procedures, do we start with one person such as the estimator or the service adviser or the repair planner?

      • An estimator needs to make sure that when an estimate is written that the repair procedures that the technicians are going to need for the estimate is available. The estimator needs to make sure everything that needs to be covered in those repair procedures is represented in the estimate.

      • Find the persona and define the role and objective of that role and what steps are needed to fulfill that objective.

      • How do we get into the work procedures, we need one path and go all the way through it.

      • An estimator and a technician have different views, the estimator is taught to work the damage path flow from outside in, when the skilled technician that is going to be the master doing the repair takes off the outside and reversed the process by doing inside out. As an estimator, the estimate is writing from bumper cover into frame rail, including taking fender off hook. It's like looking at both sides in a mirror.

      • There is a pulse point, that there may be procedures that are required to be done before this vehicle even gets disassembled. The OEM procedures don’t necessarily start when the things are disassembled. There is a lot of pre steps prior to bold being turned, especially if its and electric vehicle.

      • There are vehicles where parts have to be removed a specific way to not cause damage, you have to know this before you start the removal process

      • OEM Repair Procedures need to be looked at before the start of any repair. The details of the steps and calibrations need to be known before work.

      • From the Repair standpoint, there is a lot of overlays when a repair plan is being generated and constant communication between repair planner and the technician that will tear down the car or even the lead or the master tech and even the painter. There is a lot of different crossover points that during that whole process. Do we want to take workflows to the individual or task that may crossover?

      • The best served and most complete workflow would be the estimator, be it an insurance estimator or the body shop estimator, typically they are going to be the person that has to go from outside in. From acceptance of the car to the return of the car, point of view and most in depth and complete. The inputs from the different technicians or blueprints that come in along the way so that would be the best way to capture.

      • We need to build the blueprint path that will lead to mutual accountability, by making sure the standards cover both persona roles to achieve the same job to get the car repaired. This would help make sure the insurer looked at the OEM repair procedures and help make sure the proper repairs are being done and they are covered by the insurance.

      • Insurers have problems finding the repair procedures as well and this means they do not cover those repairs in full at times and negotiations are necessary.

    • Need a document that shows the workflow for a repair plan and the steps that are needed to be in the repair plan before the vehicle enters the shop to the end of the repair and overview

    • Tim Ronak is looking for documents of classes and a graphic that may be useful to help

    • CIC has a process on triage and repair playing.

      • We did a brief look at the CIC Guidelines

    • App Bot

    • Manufacturers already have the information, CIECA is building a map at a basic level. Point A to Point B, then it will come down to the 15 different permutations and what that brings with all the different models per manufacturer.

    • Andrew Batenhorst shared an SOP written by his blueprint department that outlines all the steps that need to be done in order to produce and what we would call a standard blueprint. This has 8 - 10 steps and the approximate times to complete those steps.

  • Adding to Project Plan

    • We need to add sending procedures back into the estimating system to the scope. We have a lot of definitions but there is nothing about making sure the procedures are referencing back to lines on an estimate or feeding lines to an estimate.

    • Phase 3 adding photos to prove repairs was done.

  • Add a meeting to September 22

Great Meeting Everyone

Up Next

  • Antitrust

  • Meeting minute Review

  • Welcome/Networking

  • Review everyone's research

    • Project Plan

    • SOP

Action items

@Paulette Reed add SOP to work documents drive.
@Paulette Reed add sending procedures back into the estimating system to the scope and Photo validation.




  • @Paulette Reed

  • Stacey Phillips

  • Timothy Ronak

  • Andrew Batenhorst

  • Erin Solis

  • Todd Korpi

  • Ginny Whelan

  • Shaughn Kennedy

  • Dale Ringwald

  • Paul Marshall

  • Bruce Davidson

  • Eric Schultz

  • Dave Butler

  • Mark Allen

  • Chrisa Hickey

  • Kelci Lemanski

  • Chuck Owens

  • Phil Martinez

  • Jessica Andrews

  • Paul Barry

  • Trent Tinsley

  • Scott VanHulle

  • Nick Dominato

  • Sandy Blaylock

  • Don Porter


Participants in the meetings are noted for your information.  If you have questions on the committee’s activities, please contact a recent attendee. https://cieca.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CPSC/pages/1354760193